Not so long ago, I had a chance to get my hands dirty with improving the deployment flow of a project. Gitops was mentioned pretty regularly when I did my research. The more I read about it, the more I like the idea because I was always complaining why do I have to wait for the CI to build when I just change some random YAML file to update my deployment, it is a huge waste of time. In this series, I am going to write down the process from almost zero knowledge about gitops to having a functional gitops flow for a small team of around 40 engineers with 10+ services. The first part is mostly about finding and evaluating different solutions.
How to authenticate requests to your API is a common question I usually have to answer whenever we want to build new API services. Over the years, the techniques to do authentication have changed significantly as well as the overall system architecture. In this post, I’m going to revisit all the different approaches that I have encountered in the past and share my thoughts regarding each approach.
Rendering React components/pages on the server-side is not a new topic, there are a lot of frameworks / libraries built specificly for this purpose. In fact, too many that it makes me very confused, what I want is a really simple way to just render the React page and also re-use the same routes. So, after looking into several popular solutions, I decided to just roll my custom setup with vitejs which is something I have been using at work for several months.
Yeah, it’s a new year and it’s time for a new setup! I have been using docker swarm as my personal cluster for the past year. As I’m exposed to kubernetes more and more in my job, I just thought that maybe it’s time for me to actually do something with kubernetes in my free time to learn more about it. Besides, having knowledge about kubernetes benefits me in many ways considering how popular kubernetes has become.
In this blog post, I’m going to describe how I set up my personal cluster using k3s (a Lightweight kubernetes distribution) and rewrite the CI/CD pipeline to deploy to the new cluster instead of the old docker swarm cluster.
What the heck is a dev proxy? To clarify, it’s a term that I’m not sure if I use it correctly, but to my understanding, a dev proxy is simply… a reverse proxy used solely for development purposes.
But why do we need one? As microservices become more and more common (I wanted to say popular but it’s highly opinionated), the need to run multiple services locally while developing a project is more necessary than before. And one of the problems is port conflict, a common convention I usually see with microservices is to use almost identical setup. This means that the port they are using is likely the same port. And microservices usually come hand in hand with docker and obviously you can’t bind the same port twice (even if you don’t use docker I don’t think you can run 2 processes listening in the same ip:port)
A dev proxy is a simple solution to mitigate this problem and makes it more enjoyable to work with microservices. In this blog post, I’m gonna describe my process of setting up a local dev proxy so that I can run multiple services without worrying about their port.
Just few days ago, I accidentally messed up my Ubuntu workstation, it was a silly mistake. It’s lucky that I have a setup script to install everything. But it was messy, hard to maintain, and full of litte tricks to check if file exists or if the file has a particular line of text so that I don’t append the same configuration value twice. Since I’m learning Ansible, I decided to “rewrite” that horrible bash script as an Ansible’s playbook so that the next time when I mess up (and I will), I can have something more reliable to use.
In the previous part
, I’ve shown how to set up a simple swarm cluster with 1 master and 2 worker nodes. In this part, I’m gonna continue with how to configure it to work with gitlab and also achieve zero downtime deployment.
Being able to develop an application of any kind and automatically deploy it is the norm nowadays. I have been using dokku
in my personal deployment stack for several years now. And at work, we are using Kubernetes. I love the idea of Kubernetes but wanted to try something else, and came across docker swarm mode. In this blog post series, I’m gonna describe the process of setting up a docker swarm cluster, putting traefik in front as a reverse proxy and automatically deploying via gitlab without downtime.
As a total beginner to Golang I find struct tags a very interesting idea. With tags, I can separate the data structure from the meta data used by other parties. It’s similar to how HTML and CSS are separated by class names. While doing my side project, I implemented a package to parse HTML content similar to how the native XML parser works. This blog post summarizes the process. I will assume that if you read this you probably have used struct tags before, and have a basic understanding about them.
I stumbled upon a weird bug few days ago when I needed to implement a function that will gracefully fail instead of throwing an error. I thought it was as simple as
try the function and
catch the error, then return something else. Apparently, with
async, things got a bit confusing.